I've been a PUMPER for a long time.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I've been a PUMPER for a long time.

Post  MartyO4570 on Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:07 pm

I have a lot of pump shotguns...period! I graduated from a single shot 410 to an Ithaca Model 37 in 16 gauge. I have always loved the 37 and I have a bunch of them. These are the shotguns that I did all my bird hunting with. I used to make 35 yard shots all the time with the 2 3/4 high brass. Very smooth action and a great gun to use in wet weather because of the bottom eject feature.

My two favorites are a deluxe 1967 model in 12 gauge with vent rib barrel. I also have a $$$ Hastings deer slug barrel with scope mount for this gun. The other is a beautiful 2004 Ithaca Deerslayer with the barrel made to the receiver and is a 3 inch MAG gun. This is a very nice gun and I took a big 8 pointer with it at 60 yards.

I have two "real" Remington Wingmasters. You know, the older models with the nice walnut stocks and deep bluing. Both are MAG models with the REM-CHOKE barrel. One is a 12 and the other is a 20.

Overall, I prefer a 28 inch barrel in modified choke. Perfect for quail or pheasant. Have you had any pheasant recently? Boy is that good!

MartyO4570
Sargeant
Sargeant

LIKE : 8

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I've been a PUMPER for a long time.

Post  schmidtty on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:28 am

i just picked up my latest addition yesterday, my grandfathers remington 870 wingmaster pump in 16ga. He passed away before the holidays and because he was getting 'confused' a lot in his later years we had the firing pin removed years ago. he never shot it, just kept it in a soft case in the closet. gotta get another firing pin for it but its a beauty. only thing that's weird on it is the date code on the barrel, it's got EEU stamped. it should only have two letters, it's not old enough to have three. i'm thinking the double E should be just a single E, making it EU, oct-2000. and i just ordered rem870.com's shotgun guide.
this will go very well with my old 48-52 mossberg 16ga bolt action shotgun i've had over 30+ years. and yeah, i like those odd 16ga's!

schmidtty
Private
Private

LIKE : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MartyO4570 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:21 pm

Once I got older, my dad let me use his 1957 Model 37 in 16 gauge. I used it for about six years or more. I like 16 gauge, but there really isn't too much difference between a 16 and a 12. That's why I have 12's and 20's. I do have a couple of 16's, but I like my Wingmaster and Model 37 12 gauges for general hunting.
MartyO4570
Sargeant
Sargeant

LIKE : 8

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top