Mid South Gun Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Squirrel and Rabbit

2 posters

Go down

Squirrel and Rabbit Empty Squirrel and Rabbit

Post  MartyO4570 Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:30 pm

I surely do love to eat them little critters. That's why they make 22's. Puts a mammal on your plate for pennies.

I like a squirrel and rabbit stew with the meat marinaded in apple cider. In fact, after cleaning, I put the cut up pieces in a zip lock freezer bag after a 24 hour dip in the marinade. I then put the marinade in the freezer bag. After thawing, get rid of the marinade. I egg/milk dip the pieces and roll them in flour. I lightly brown them on both sides. Remove from heat. Have a big Dutch Oven pan and put in all the goodies. Small red potatoes, celery, green and red onions (dice the red onions), a little corn and whatever you like. Bring this to a boil and then simmer about an hour. Then put the meat in with the veggies and cook another hour in the oven at 350. There you go. Perfect on a weekend afternoon. Note. I use a little flour to thicken up the juice in the pan. I like my stew Western style with very little moisture.

The nice thing about these little critters is they bode well in almost all sorts of sauces and BBQ sauce. I like my venison, but these little critters are pretty versatile in the kitchen.
MartyO4570
MartyO4570
Sargeant
Sargeant

LIKE : 8

Back to top Go down

Squirrel and Rabbit Empty Re: Squirrel and Rabbit

Post  surfnorthwest Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:11 am

Good grief I get all kinds of critters on my property. My Shepherd always seems to kill the Squirrels.

I am luck enough to get a lot of Turkey, Ducks, and Chuckers running around here. Coyotes are also coming down from the hills now but I don't shoot those. To me if I'm not going to eat it I don't kill it. Which would explain why I have never even killed a squirrel.
surfnorthwest
surfnorthwest
Corporal
Corporal

LIKE : 0

http://marshallroadhouse.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MartyO4570 Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:28 am

Made a big batch of rabbit using a Salisbury Steak recipe. Boy was it good. Thinking of getting a meat grinder so I can have rabbit burgers.
MartyO4570
MartyO4570
Sargeant
Sargeant

LIKE : 8

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum